Last weekend I actually did a little bit of nesting. I’ve been sewing a lot for my midwife, and I’d love to bake or cook or other things, but the energy just hasn’t been there. “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” Too, if I ever gain this much weight I think I’d have to have my feet amputated. Ouch!
Anyways, I purchased the “Trimsies” diaper pattern and got to work right away. A dear friend had given me some real life microfleece, so I thought it would be the perfect way to try it out. I made two diapers, both size “small,” which REALLY is small. I’m a little worried my baby has already outgrown them (no, it’s not born yet)! But isn’t it the cutest thing?
The pattern has a unique soaker/doubler option, so while it’s technically an “All In One,” it has the quick-dry properties of a pocket diaper. The instructions call for these layers to be sewn along the front edge of the soaker and doubler to the liner, so they hang out like flaps in the washer and dryer.
I of course rarely follow all the instructions. Instead of sewing the doubler and soaker to the lining, I sewed them to each other, and set snaps in the doubler (is that what the small one is?) and in the diaper lining, towards the back.
Below you can see it ‘unsnapped’ and the soaker/doubler turned over.
My reasoning for this is as follows: If we can use a cover several times over a prefold before washing it, it stands to reason that this diaper could act the same way. The outer portion is microfleece and PUL, like many covers are, and instead of a prefold, these soaker/doubler parts are the absorbent element. If I don’t sew them in permanently, but make extra sets of the absorbent parts, couldn’t I switch them out via the snaps and not have to make as many ‘covers’? At least for the newborn stage?
Perhaps someone could set me straight on this.
I really like the pattern. It’s the first one I haven’t downloaded for free or borrowed from another mom. I haven’t made any additional diapers or bigger sizes, but I did learn quite a bit on this effort.
First: If you’re used to making front-snapping diapers, DOUBLE-CHECK which side you want your snaps to be on the wings. Thankfully, after setting a mere 24 snaps, I realized a mistake. And I’m REALLY thankful we just bought Hubby a new rechargeable battery for his DeWalt drill.
Also: This pattern requires some bit of cloth diapering experience. It doesn’t really offer any fabric recommendations or the like, and I had to do a bit of research. I’ve never used doublers or soakers, and I found a lot of them are made with fabrics I have no experience with. Things like Bamboo velour and hemp, french terry and other fancy things. I know prefolds, I know microfiber (when it comes in a bright yellow automotive polishing cloth from Costco).
I chose the PUL outer, obviously, and the microfleece liner. For the soaker (larger pad), I used a layer of microfleece for the top (figuring it would be a stay-dry fabric and super soft), a layer of microfleece in the middle (you don’t want it against baby’s skin, but it absorbs quickly), and some nice fall-themed flannel for the bottom (more absorbency) The doubler is flannel on top and bottom, with the microfleece in the middle (yes, I sacrificed an automotive cloth). I serged around these, and I apologize for the color. I found some woolly nylon on sale a bit ago, and bought blue, dark and light pink, and black.
Obviously, I don’t know if this fabric combination will work yet or not. I’m excited to try them out sometime soon, hopefully (I’m due the 8th, after all! That’s in… 27 hours or so!), and I’ll let you know if my ideas work.