Thank God for progress. Really. This place is a D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R. It always runs a little on the edge of chaos, but right now it is just ripped apart. We did in fact remove the stove, tear out the nearby cabinets and the pretty tile,

IMG_1060And then the whole wall.

IMG_1061Gulp.

And then some more cabinetry.

Oh look, oatmeal!

Oh look, oatmeal!

At this point things were a terrible mess. All the contents of the drawers and cupboards had been drug out (in the case of the drawers, everything was still in them, they were just stacked in a corner of the kitchen). I had spent a saturday morning carefully removing my roll-out drawers from the cabinet that is missing here, and re-installing them in the cabinet under the cooktop in the foreground (thank goodness they were the same size cabinets!). Of course, the contents that had been under the cooktop were (are?) boxed up and being kicked around somewhere.

Hubby framed in the pantry walls and played with the electrical, and I started on the cabinet.

IMG_1112

The big dark boxy thing in the corner is a home-built gun cabinet (accessible from the schoolroom storage room on the other side of the wall). It’s OLD barn wood. Matches the shelves in the schoolroom, I’m afraid.

I really have no idea how to build cabinetry. What I CAN do is visualize what I want, figure out the first piece, and figure out how to attach it. Then I stand back and stare, cock my head to the side for some time, measure something and go back out to the table saw or chop saw. I come back in, install that piece, cock my head to the side…. ad naseum. It’s not a cabinet that is built THEN installed.. It’s piece-by-piece built in, and the rear of the cabinets is the wall. Oh well.

IMG_1130I used the specs for the oven to make the width and height of the oven recess. I even bumped it up a bit higher than they recommend, because I thought it would be nice that way. šŸ™‚ (that’s something I’m loving about all this. CUSTOMIZATION!) The nice mennonite cabinet guy across the pasture is on a first name basis with me and has been very forthcoming with advice and material, answering my clueless questions with patience. By the way, “standard” face trim at the top is 2 1/4″, between cupboards or drawers is 1 3/4″ and at the bottom it’s 1 1/2″. Just FYI.

IMG_1132I had at first considered enclosing the refrigerator fully, but once I got going (and cocked my head enough) I realized that the wood along the outer edge of the fridge would be flush against the edge of the schoolroom doorway, and I didn’t want to do that. I settled for an upper cabinet (super-deep, like the rest of it) and figured I could attach it to the ceiling. At the last minute I sketched this out, adding a cookbook shelf along the left side.

Front view, doors open

Front view, doors open

It would be a little weird, but it appealed to me. So I measured my tallest cookbook, and went to work. šŸ™‚

IMG_1136

Hubby’s electrical in the pantry

I got a small bundle of pergo-type flooring from a builder’s excess that I thought I could use to make vertical dividers above the oven. The upper shelf placement was determined after I (you guessed it) measured my widest cutting board. I primered the interior and as soon as it was dry I loaded it up with my appropriate cookware. Anything for a bit of usability!

IMG_1169

And Hubby installed the door!

When I finished the face-frame parts, I had to decide on colors. It was long and dramatic and wicked, but I decided on a green-based black (Valspar Olive Suede, a.k.a. Chicken Crap Green) for this.

IMG_1171I intend to build some drawers in the lower recess, and am waiting for a quote from the cabinetmaker on unfinished doors and drawer fronts. And, the oven is installed and working! We had a lot of oven-door drama, but did in fact finally get it together mostly properly. But the only picture of it I have is a close-up of the bacon I was broiling as soon as it was hooked up. šŸ™‚

Advertisements