{For some reason, this post didn’t actually post. It shows I had it scheduled to post a month ago, but it’s still sitting here as a draft. Guess I’ll post it now.}

While my new cooktop languished in the garage, I started praying for a wall oven. New was not an option… Low end brands are easily over $1000, and I have come to depend, these last 12 years, on my convection oven with 3 racks and all that. It could be narrower than the standard 30″, but I really love that convection…

Craigslist wasn’t turning up anything worthwhile, here or at Gigi’s, so I turned to Ebay. There’s a lot of nice ovens available there, but most of them are up in the big numbers. I did find a couple that were reasonable. I wasn’t familiar with the brands (could be a good thing), and one seemed just about right. Twenty seven inches, convection, it was definitely used, but they were asking a reasonable $200. However, freight wasn’t listed and my request for a quote went a day without a response. I sent another message and got a quote – $225 if delivered to a business address (Hubby’s work will do!). I called Hubby and we prayed about it and I clicked “Buy It Now.”

This is the ebay photo:

ebay photoShortly after buying it, ebay suggested similar items, like this:

Price astonishment!

Price astonishment!

THAT’s what I was getting?! I had researched enough to know Dacor was a shmancy brand, but THAT was really something. Same item, also used… crazy.

And then it got here!

Oops

Oops

Not cool.

Not cool.

So, that’s about where we are. The freight company sent me a claim form, and I anguished over it all weekend before calling them for advice, at which point they informed me that their liability is based on the weight, and this would be worth $27. I had been scouring the internet for (of course, discontinued) parts, and just that steel front of the door – not the glass – was nearly $300 (if you could find it).

Then I had Hubby wire it up (in the garage) just to make sure it actually WORKED besides being broken. It *seemed* to – you could tell it to broil or convect or bake, but the heating elements didn’t warm up, and he wasn’t getting power across the two legs (uh, electrician talk and I totally don’t get it).

Oh, ALSO, that weekend, our well pump died and we had no water. At least, we didn’t until we traded $1725 for a new well pump. Oi.

Starting to doubt our ability to listen to God in the slightest, I contacted  the seller of the oven. Thankfully, there is a logistics company (between the seller and the freight company) who might be the people to handle damage claims and such. In other (what I hope is) good news, the seller seems very willing to make it right so far, and has offered to ship me a new door – the whole door – from another oven (you can see more of them in the back of the ebay photo). It’s apparently en route. He claimed the oven was in use and operating within a couple weeks of shipping it to me, so I called a local appliance repair guy who talked me through a few checks. I couldn’t wire it back up, but when Hubby got home, HE wired it up, and the little high-temp reset button was all that needed ‘fixed!’ It worked!

Maybe soon I can take a picture of an oven without shattered glass. And I’ll tell you about my pantry door, and kitchen window…

Advertisements