My (first) seed order has arrived. As usual, these are from Territorial Seed. I am also awaiting an order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. ALL of the seeds from Baker are heirloom/open-pollinated and they have some fantastic finds from around the globe.
I ordered from Territorial:
- a large packet of Nash bush beans (I loved them last year)
- General Lee cucumbers (hybrid)
- German Chamomile
- Lady Lavender
I want to dig up the front flowerbed patch of grass and put in some herbs. However, anytime I dig up and expose dirt of any kind, the chickens think I have opened a classy buffet (is than an oxymoron?) and come scratching and pecking through everything. I’ve not yet determined how I might keep seeds protected long enough for them to sprout!
From Baker Creek I ordered:
- Chives – Common
- Blue Hubbard Squash
- A Lettuce Mix
- Another Lavender
- Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli
- Kale – Blue Curled Scotch
- Cosmic Purple Carrot – I am SO thrilled to have an open-pollinated purple carrot. I hope they do well!
- Tendercrisp Celery
- Hollow Crown Parsnip
- Crimson Forest Bunching Onion – another purple veggie.
- Mammoth Red Beet – These are “Mangel” beets – they grow HUGE (10-20lbs) and I’ve read that some old-timers would keep a spike on the wall of the henhouse, and put a beet on it for the chickens to peck away at in winter. I’m growing these as a supplemental winter feed.
I also have some saved-seed from last year – mostly flowers like calendula and borage. I’ll be buying plants from the local greenhouse, and maybe some organic ones from Azure.
What are your garden plans so far?